Saturday, February 21, 2009

"When Love is Old"

I really enjoyed reading "When Love is Old" by W.B. Yeats. Personally, I like to put myself sometimes (not always) in a character's place in a story (or especially a movie). I can see Mike and I being married forty years or so down the line, still in love, having reared our children and seen them out, having gone through careers and houses and cities and bases and life events and hard times and good times and births and deaths, all the while still loving each other and still there for each other. This stems from the commitment that we have made to each other: indeed we made a covenant with the Lord in front of family and friends to be committed to each other until death do us part. I know that Mike's love for me is not the passing love for my youthful looks and I think that he has certainly proved that throughout the length of our first pregnancy. My body underwent some major changes, and his love for me has not changed. And his desire for me has not dwindled in the least either - in some ways, it has increased, perhaps because I am bearing his child, a fact that he quite proud of. (Men glow too when their wives are pregnant.) I can see how the speaker in Yeats poem has that kind of love for his wife - how he has stayed with her through it all, until the very end. I find this to be very romantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment